Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Dreams and treasure hunting

I have learned over the years to live by the old adage "fix it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without". My family has come to refer to me as the "thrifty wonder" stemming from Halloween several years back when for our family party we had to come dressed as a never before seen super hero. My husband was a big hit as "Capt. Toiletbrush" complete with cape. We hot glued long pieces of foam to an old bike helmet. Needless to say, it was hillarious! But me, not being as clever, went as the only thing I could think of: "the thrifty wonder". Okay, so it was stupid, but it nonetheless stuck as my family knows that my favorite thing to do is to "treasure hunt" at the local thrift store. I am always in search of anything I can remake into something really cool for my home. My dream vacation (well, I have several), but this one isn't on the top of my husbands list of fantastic getaways, so I might just have to make it happen on my own someday:). Well, when I am ready to design my dream house (which will be at the end of blossom lane- Okay, now I'm really dreaming-but hey, I was told to dream big!), So anyway, I want to take a lot of money and a u-haul (a big one) and visit all the salvage yards back east where they have really great pieces of architecture just lying around waiting for someone to love them back into meaningful existence. As well as stay in some really great Bed & Breakfast's along the way of course (maybe that will sway my husband into buying into the idea). Then bring them home, and design my new haven around them. But in the mean time I will keep on truckin' on here in real life. Speaking of real life- did you see "Dan in real life"- great movie, I think I'll have to buy that one when it comes out even if I don't get it on a great deal! Any way, back to the present, I will be posting the different projects I have done around my home, showing how I did them, and encouraging you to become a thrifty wonder- do-it-yourselfer too. Because you can do anything you put your mind to! Come back tomorrow to see my first project post.

1 comment:

Olinselot said...

You need to do this!!!!!!!!!!